Friday, August 30, 2013

I'm Remembering My Teacher...


     I'm remembering a really smart lady, with a heart as big as all outdoors. A re-married mom of two cute little boys, one of which was from her present marriage...I'm remembering being at her home for my personal Bible study, and how great she was at paying attention to all of my clarity-seeking questions, while at the same time watching her oldest son go up and down the little culdesac (street closed at one end) where she lived.
   I'm remembering how funny she was, and how un-assuming...How not much flustered her, because her faith in Jehovah was so strong...I'm also remembering that she wasn't that great of a cook. ^_^ I'm remembering a dinner of boxed macaroni and cheese...only!...and how I kept looking for the MEAT! Ha! Ha!...and she reminded me that: "You don't HAVE TO have meat for it to be dinner!" ^_^
     I'm also remembering how one time she was making a cake, and half way through the process she remembered that she didn't have any eggs!...Oops! O_O...but how she grabbed some mayonnaise from the refrigerator, added a couple of dollops to the batter, and kept right on going!! Ha! Ha!...She said: "Mayonnaise is nothing but eggs and vinegar!" ^_^...I didn't tell her, but: "Uhhhhh...I don't like vinegar in my cake, though!!" LOL...I never tasted it, so who knows...it could've been good! ^_^
   I'm remembering that she taught me the real meaning of forgiveness...Something had happened with hubby and I years prior to me getting to know her,...something not important to me telling this story...and I was wielding the knowledge of that 'something' over my hubby's head all the time....my emotional power whip!...She reminded me, and showed me the scriptures to back it up, that if God held every bad thing I did like a whip, waiting to 'put me in my place' whenever he didn't like what I was thinking, I'd be DEAD!! O_O...Point taken...and point learned! I never wielded that whip again!!
   I'm remembering her face the day I got baptized...with no tears showing, but just joy...for me. :-]  And I'm remembering how she was always looking around to see where her boys were, and that they weren't misbehaving, even then! :-)
  I'm remembering her oldest son...a handsome little fella, who she said never knew his father, but yet walked just like him, and had quirky mannerisms just like him...I'm remembering that he was a sweet, smiley, quiet young man, who loved his little brother very much...even though they jostled around and fought sometimes...Oh, how she loved him!
   I'm remembering all of this today because I just saw the report that her oldest son, the sweet little first real love of her life....died. :-(  I'm remembering how long it's been since I've seen her....more than twenty years. Our lives took different paths...physically...but the same path spiritually.
    I've heard 'of' her, her husband, and the boys, from family and friends, in passing, over the years. They were all doing well. Both of her sons married...But I was not prepared to hear this...that her son, the sweet tugger of her attention, was dead.
    Now I have to remember how to comfort myself...how to write a letter of sympathy...how to pray for her, in specifics...and how to move forward, remembering that he is in God's loving memory, and death will be the distant memory soon...
      Revelation 21:4 says..."...he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain...The former things have passed away."
    I'm remembering how comforting the Bible can be when someone you love has passed away...And I'm remembering my dear friend....and teacher.

About My Teachers

Let me tell you about my teachers!
Those who let my spirit fly.
Those who taught me self-control.
Those who always made me try.

My music teacher, small in size,
whose unsung words would sometimes sting;
He taught humility and patience,
while also teaching me to sing.

My English teacher, gregarious,
whose toothy smile was just as loud;
She taught me confidence and joy,
and to be fearless in a crowd.

My drama teacher, A or E,
from her I earned my hardest grade.
It was for letting out a scream.
From which I learned: 'Be Not Afraid'.

For basketball, and also Gym,
My coach would train us like a nut!
And though we lost, most every time,
I learned to try, no matter what.

I learned to cater and to waitress
from a crew who taught me well.
In fact, so many new experiences
that I now can hardly tell.

My Bible teacher too,
taught me how 'I must forgive';
And by teaching me God's laws,
also taught me how to live.

To my teachers, one and all,
bold, soft-spoken, shy or tough,
Thanks for teaching me the knowledge
that being 'me' is good enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^