Monday, August 5, 2013

Okay, So Here's The Story........


     It's another Monday...another week. And for me...another story to tell you! :-) Or I should say...I can finally tell you the story! I already mentioned to you that something happened, but that I'd tell you the story later. Well...now is the time.
     Since it's a story of an attempted 'mugging' I thought the mug in the header photo was appropriate! ^_^ Sorry. That's my silly sense of humor...which is finally able to be silly about this particular subject...which was no laughing matter the other day when it happened!! O_O
      I did end up having some chocolate chip and almond cookies to help me calm my nerves though. So...I could've used this mug! LOL



     Anyway!...What happened was my hubby witnessed a 'mugging'!...(The attack or robbing of  someone in a public place)...while it was in progress!! O_O...Yeah! Really!!! O_O It happened while he was doing one of his 'pick-ups' the other day.
       He was waiting outside of a building, for an elder gentleman that he transports to a center in town, to be brought downstairs to his van. The gentleman's sister, who doesn't live with him, had come by to get him ready, and to bring him downstairs to the van. Hubby was waiting in the van for quite a while, because his previous passenger had cancelled, and so he was early to this gentleman's building.
      All of a sudden he saw, out of the corner of his eye, a man holding a bicycle handle with one hand, and some money in the other, being threatened by a guy with what looked like a gun! O_O The man holding the bicycle dropped it, and, in Spanish, was trying to get the guy to leave him alone!
     Hubby says he was frozen at first, because he said he couldn't tell whether they were playing around or what was going on. He said it was as if it was a tv show or something. O_O One thing was clear though, the man being threatened was not going down without a fight!!
     When the threatened man kept refusing to give the attacker whatever he was asking for...his bike, money, whatever!...the attacker lunged at him! That's when the threatened man swung back, and knocked the gun out of his hand...Hubby says the gun clip fell out of it as it was going to the ground. That's when hubby realized: "HEY!! THIS IS REAL!!! HE"S BEING MUGGED!!!!" O_O
      Hubby didn't know what to do, because he already had a passenger on the van, an elderly woman (101 years old!)...who thankfully was totally oblivious to the whole thing!...and he was still waiting for the elder gentleman and her sister who he knew would be popping out of the door any minute!! O_O YIKES!!
      As he was quickly pondering..."WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO?!!""...the mugger went into his jacket pocket and pulled out a knife and was swinging it at the threatened man!!!!!! O_O Hubby says he thinks he actually hit him once with it!...That's when hubby realized...I HAVE A CELL PHONE! I'LL CALL THE POLICE!!...And as he was trying to slow his brain down and control the high volume of adrenaline that was coursing through his body by now too, enough to remember how to use his fingers, someone started yelling, in Spanish, at the mugger from one of the apartment building windows!
     The mugger took off running!!...Hubby went to find out if the threatened man was alright. For the most part, he was. Of course, he was kinda wound up by now too...and angry that the guy had tried to mug him!!...Shortly after that the police came. Hubby had to give them his name and information in case they needed him later to recount what he had witnessed. YIKES!! O_O
      We just found out a couple of days ago that they caught the mugger. PHEW!!! And so far hubby hasn't gotten a call...which the police officer told him probably wouldn't have to happen.
      Needless to say, hubby was a wreck when he got home!! He was upset with himself that he hadn't acted quicker, and terrified to think what would have happened if someone had gotten shot or killed!! O_O I assured him that his reaction was normal. The brain does some weird things when emergencies happen!
     It was funny....later. MUCH later!...listening to hubby talk about all of the things he should have done...blow the horn, yell "HEY!", drive the van toward him, call the police immediately!...and laughing about how he was holding a cell phone in his hand the whole time and never even thought about it!! ^_^
     Once hubby's nerves were back to normal, he called his boss to find out what protocol was in cases like that...in case there ever is another time...which he hopes there never is!!! O_O In this case, everybody got to the center safely, albeit a little late! ^_^ And the threatened man was still alive...albeit a LOT angry that anybody would dare mess with him like that! He was pounding his chest and saying: "I'm Puerto Rican!!!!"
      Okay...hmmmm...I think he missed the memo that Puerto Rican's, just like all other humans, get attacked!!!...Anyway!! :-)) I guess I would've been a little angry too! Especially since it was in the daylight of early morning...Don't muggers sleep anymore?! :-)) .........Sorry.
      Now I need some breakfast and a cup of coffee. My adrenaline started running again just telling you the story! O_O ...I'll save the story of our freak thunderstorm yesterday afternoon...


     ...and it's HAILSTONES!!!! (those are the little white balls in the photo below)...


    ...for another time!! O_O

      To end today's post I'll bring it back to calm...and crochet!! :-)




      I finished these this weekend, and will probably put them in the online Wuglyees shop later today.

     Okay, have a good...mug free...day, Everybody! :-) Be prepared for all emergencies....and pray that there isn't any!!! ^_^

Just When You Think...

Just when you think you've got it bad
you see that someone's got it worse!
You complain: "My aches and pains...",
but see that some folks need a nurse!

Just when the weather's got you mad
and the snow's too deep to run,
you see the melting everywhere...

And look again!...and there's the sun!

Just when you think: "I'll just move on,
and find something else to do",
there's another blog post finished...
and another poem too! :-]

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! I think I would have reacted the same way - just kinda dumbfounded lol I know for a fact I couldn't have ran up on them since I'm very petite and a weaponless female lol. Calling the police was the right thing to do and I'm glad they caught the guy and no one was hurt or killed.

    Love how you went from "calm and placid" to "ACTION! SUSPENSE!!" to "calm and placid" again lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Teehee*...Yep!...It's funny how your brain, which is usually your best friend, sometimes just totally 'heads for the hills' when they're an emergency!! LOL Mine organizes a little bit quicker most of the time though. I think that may be due to my nursing training. YAY! medical training!! ^_^...Thanks for the comment too, Denise! Have a good day!!

      Delete
  2. Lol nurse training definitely helps! You enjoy your weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ It does! It does!!...Enjoy your weekend too!

      Delete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^