Sunday, August 1, 2010

Who Are These Old People In The Mirror?

    It's official...We're old! And the only thing we can do about it now is laugh! How did this happen to two spry, lively, young chickadees like ourselves?!...We decided that for our anniversary yesterday we would just take the day off and sleep. Well...that's what we did! And we loved it!...That is until this morning!
    I woke up with every bone in my body aching (It's gonna rain!), and had to use the bathroom IMMEDIATELY!!  Hubby...couldn't move! He had slept on one side too long and his hip had locked in place! And he had to use the bathroom REALLY BAD too!! LOL It was like a bad Laurel and Hardy routine!! I was yelling "Ooo! Oooo! Ooo!" and he was hobbling around the bed in slow motion, limping on one toe so he could keep his hip level!!
    Yep! Just have to laugh about it,...and take our pills,...
    ...Put on our glasses so we can see which pills we're suppose to be taking!...
    (The glasses with the sun shades clipped to them because the glare of the sunlight through the window this morning is too bright!)...Get my cane...
   ...Grab the remote control with my grabber...
     ...so I can turn on the T.V. and get the weather, to see how much rain we're suppose to get today!...Wait a minute! I still can't see! Better put some...
    ...drops in my eyes.
    UGH! Guess we better just go back to bed. We obviously need some more rest...or something!! Wait a minute!! My toenail is catching the sheet...and my eyebrow hair keeps falling in my eye!! Where's my tweezers and nail clipper?!!!
   *Sigh!* ...  It's finally happened. We've gone from COOL and HIP!...to cold, because of a lack of circulation, and can't move our 'hip'! LOL...Yep! We are officially OLD!! Good thing we've got each other! Nobody else is gonna want nothing to do with all of this!!! Ha! Ha!

(Another repeat of this poem is in order!)

In The Mirror, I See Me

The lines of history are there,
just like a book upon the shelf;
And they are written so that you see
that I'm no longer just myself.

I did not see it before now-
my mother's hair and brother's teeth,
my sister's honey-colored skin-
have stolen time, just like a thief.

The mirror's image always was
of me alone-just here and now;
But as I age, and years go by,
I see granddaddy's furrowed brow.

I see my auntie's pug, round nose;
and my uncle's sun-bleached spots.
It is amazing -one-by-one,
the way it all connects the dots.

They have written on the pages
of the book of life I see;
When I look into the mirror
I no longer just see me.

It is a thing I must accept,
instead of fighting who to be.
I will accept my life's reflection,
and I'll smile at what I see,
when, in the mirror, I see me.      

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the "O.L.D." club!! Can't see a thing till my glasses are on or my contacts are in. Can't live without my pills. Get stiff if I sit too long, arthritis is making my joints look strange, etc., etc.! Glad you enjoyed your anniversary day anyway. Sorry you don't feel too good today. Take your pills....you'll feel better! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. CinLynn, Ha! Ha! Ha! Yep! We're TRULY in this thing together now!!...Taking my pills now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hoot. I have the same problems. I'm 53 going on 90.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! This was funny and yes, all you can do is laugh. Laughing helps a lot! :D
    I got the strangest ache for a few days when I was in Norway, just ached all over, couldn't sit, couldn't stand, couldn't sleep :S Too much sitting in the car ;) So we young people (going on 30 ;)) get these things too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mariann, Ha! Ha! Ha! Going on 30 you don't realize it right now, but trust me when I tell you...Your aches now are not the same ones!!! LOL Hopefully you won't ever have to REALLY realize it though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! You must start square dancing,we have such a laugh,good exorcise,lovely new friends.
    It is not only for the young folk you know we are pensioners,and so are a lot of our members,actually all over 40
    Now is the time to start a new hobby,see you in a square!!!
    Jeanie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. mythreebeez, Guess what?! I love any kind of dancing and a group of my friends used to get together every month for line dancing!! I was the Queen of the 'Tush Push'!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^