Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Good Day For A Tree, Some Snow, and a Nap!

    What I now realize is that taking pictures of the snow in my backyard is going to be...shall I say...interesting! It looks like a lot more snow in person, but when I look at these pictures I can almost hear you all saying: "What's the big deal?!" LOL
    To try to give you a little more perspective, take a look at this shot from right on the patio...
     Huh?!!....Huh?!!....That looks like S-N-O-W!! Right?!...And it is!! :-] Being a girl whose originally from Georgia, a typically warm climate with very little snow generally (until lately that is!!), I can honestly say that I'm not that thrilled with this white stuff. 
     But Some of you have never touched snow, and are really wishing you were here to play in it. All I have to say to you is.........Well, I was going to say: "ARE YOU CRAZY?!!" ^_^ But I won't say that. I mean....it is really pretty to look at out the window. And it's kinda cute watching the birds trying to dig through it to find food, and ending up with snow on their beaks. :-)
    So, all I'll say to you is...your perspective would be very different if you had to invest every year in new snow tires, or buy snow blowers, shovels, winter coats, scarves, and mittens for your children. Or if you had to buy anti-freeze, and window washer for your car (lots of window washer!! When the snow plow trucks pass you on the highway and kick up all of their dirty snow onto your windshield you REALLY use this stuff up!!!).
   Then there's de-icer for your sidewalks, snow boots, a boot brush to put near the door, (so people can scrape their boots off before they come in your house), floor runners (to protect your carpets), hats, ear muffs, gloves, ice scrapers and chippers, traction spikes for your boots, etc.... 
    Not to mention the non-necessities that people in snow areas tend to buy. Not the least of which is an ignition starter remote! (So that they can start their car from INSIDE the house...where it's warm, and let it get all toasty before they have to ward off Mr. Winter to go get in it!) :-))
    Are you still longing for snow?! Well, think about the fact that in the winter months here the electric bill practically doubles, you have to insulate your doors and windows, and you have to pay more for gas for your car as well (all that idling time when it's trying to warm up!).  Believe me...I could go on all day!!! ^_^
   So, yeah, it's pretty to look at...and play in (before you have to worry about hypothermia and frostbite)...but there's a lot of reasons why some northerners....especially transplanted northerners...don't get so excited about it....It would be much easier to buy a hula skirt and call it a day! LOL
    Okay, my snow monologue is over...for today! ^_^ There's a couple other things I wanted to share with you though. One being this really cute gift I got from a fellow blogger over at Dizzy Little Kingdom.
    I said I liked this little tree, and the next thing I know....I got this really cute pendant in the mail!! :-) Isn't that great?!
     I also love that it was wrapped so pretty in this bubble wrap type paper (so it wouldn't crack) with the little colorful kite on it...
    ...and it was accompanied by the cutest card ever!!
    It says: "Success consists of getting up once oftener than you fall down."That's so true too!!! :-] I am so thankful for my little necklace...and for the beautiful words it came with!
    I'm also thankful for another gift. The gift of having my Red, Red Scarf and Ugmo Hat Set ...
      ...be put in an Etsy Treasury!  It's entitled Seeing Red.
   Good title, don't you think?! :-) And who would have ever thought that my 'Ugmo" hat would be making it to the "Big time"?! Certainly not me!! LOL So, Thanks to SouthwestCrafts for thinking of me...AGAIN! :-] 
    Okay, I've got some crocheting to do. Or, as one of my fellow tweeters on Twitter put it yesterday, I've got to go and turn really long pieces of string into something! We were joking about it because he sold one of his items that   he made out of 'a bunch of wood and metal'. ^_^ You can check out his shop and see what he does HERE! LOL Today I'll be turning a really long piece of string into another black hat! And, of couse, taking a nap! ^_^ What are all of you doing today?!

 A Little Doze'll Do You!

I enjoy my sleeping, and a doze,
a nap, and such.
In fact I might enjoy a snooze
entirely waay too much!

At any time of day,
you'll find me like a weeping willow.
Head hung low and dragging,
looking for the nearest pillow.

No, there's nothing wrong.
I'm not depressed. I've still got bounce!
And I can stay awake and be
quite witty when it counts!

But I have been awake for things
where I could've been asleep.
And now my time's so valuable
I don't treat it like it's cheap.

My sleeping, dozing, napping,
is to my life a special key.
It unlocks and refreshes
and dispels anxiety!

Most people try to fill up
every hour in the day.
But me, I'd rather be asleep
and waste it all away.

There's plenty hours left
for all the flit and play and chore.
An hour for a nap right now?!
Why not?! There's 24!!

14 comments:

  1. A very nice poem here, as well as on the previous post (forgot to say so). Your second pic here is stunning. It would make a gorgeous framed print. So zen and minimal...reminds me of a Georgia O'Keefe abstract. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. M.A. Wakeley, Thank you so much for the nice words about my poems! You made me smile. :-) And you will also make my hubby smile. He's the one who took the picture of the patio snow drift. Wait until I tell him he's been compared to Georgia O'Keefe!! ^_^ {Although my hubby's personality could be considered...at times...a little abstract. ^_^}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! But honey, you haven't seen snow yet!! Move to Michigan if you REALLY want to see snow! LOL You did get a bit that's for sure.
    I was tweeting with the same tweeter yesterday! He's so funny! I told him he could turn his snow machine off anytime and we wouldn't mind!
    Congrats on the treasuries! Hope your string turns into something beautiful as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I am getting a little sick of this snow already which usually happens in March. We just have TOO MUCH of it over here and it still keeps on snowing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel about the snow,we have had it lying around for so long just frozen and dangerous,in fact I slipped up and banged my knee.I did limp for a bit but it is feeling better now.
    At last the thaw has come and a little rain,feeling milder.
    Hope you don't have to suffer your bad weather for too long.We saw it on our news here in the U.K.
    Keep warm Deb!!
    Jeanie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. CinnLynn, Oh yes! I have an appreciation...TRUST ME!! We just haven't gotten that much this year!! I've seen enough snow here in Massachusetts to last me a lifetime!! LOL ... And by the way, my long piece of string was just cut about 20 minutes ago. Hat number two is done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mariann, Ha! Ha! I know what you mean! And...um....please keep it over there! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  8. mythreebeez, Oh! I'm so sorry about your knee!! I know how dangerous the ground is once it's snowed, frozen, and is just sitting there waiting for a slushy thaw. :-/ YOU BE CAREFUL!!!...And WOW! Our blizzard made your news all the way in the U.K.?!! Well, let's hope we don't get anymore globe-traveling weather!! :-]

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I now found out that we have a record here, we have 25" of snow, it's nothing compared to what the danish people have to put up with. Have you heard of their 55" in the island of Bornholm? It's crazy! Here's a video of it too http://nyhederne.tv2.dk/article.php/id-36112509:bornholm-beder-om-katastrofehj%C3%A6lp.html and here's another one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BkNUfKJ8kg&feature=player_embedded
    I know it won't stop you complaining about your snow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mariann, WOW! No, I hadn't heard about Bornholm! I think a lot of people, not just me and you, are sick of the snow. But in fact, our snow season hasn't even really gotten off the ground yet!! I'm just complaining early....so that maybe it won't bother me as much later!! ^_^ Fat chance of that happening though. I enjoy complaining about it too much!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic poem! And yes Poetess, even after your detailed description of what happens during winter when there is snow about I would still dearly love to have a play in it for a day or so and then go home :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jo-anne, Thank you so much!!...Makes me want to wish for snow for you!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Poetess, it would be lovely if we had snow real soon. We're expecting a maximum temperature of 38C (100F)today and some parts are expecting a lot higher.We could sure use it to cool off.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jo-anne, WHEW!!! Yeah...you NEED some snow!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^