Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"The Hawk Is Out"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I'm sure this isn't an expression that everybody uses (the post title), but I've grown up hearing it ever since we moved to the New England area...I remember my dad waking us girls up for school and saying: "Make sure you dress warm. The hawk is out!"...O_0
         We didn't know what he was talking about......until that cold blast of 'take-your-breath-away' air hit us in the face as soon as we stepped one foot out the front door of the house!!! And Oh Yeah! The hawk was definitely out!...whatever that meant.
     I hadn't thought about that expression...or frankly, what it meant...for years. But 'out of the blue'...*another expression I don't know why I say it! ^_^*...this morning, when a cold blast of air hit me, I said: "Uh Oh! I guess the hawk is out!" Ha! Ha!...(you can follow the lit up  link for an explanation if you like.)...

           When hubby heard me say that, he gave me a funny look...as he pulled the covers a little closer around his head.  Then he stuck his hand out from up under the covers...*he was holding the T.V. remote...Umph! Umph! Umph!*...turned to the weather channel, and......sure enough...as he acknowledged out loud...the hawk "IS" out!!! Ha! Ha!
      It's eight (8) degrees Fahrenheit here in Holyoke this morning!.....8....degrees!!! And the weather man had the nerve to 'add insult to injury' by telling us that while it's technically 8 degrees, the wind chill factor is minus 4!!! Meaning that it looks like 8 degrees, but it feels like -4...In other words, if you go out there in that weather with any body part exposed you can expect to have to pick it up off the ground, drag it back inside, and thaw it out, and re-attache it before you can use it again! LOL

       Even the Florida oranges aren't gonna get a break today!...The whole East Coast needs to put their chunky scarves (header photo) and long johns on!!!.......So, needless to say, our plans are gonna be slightly altered today. Instead of going out and walking around the neighborhood to share a Bible message...we're gonna be right here in the house...doing some reading, maybe watching a movie, playing Scrabble, etc....In other words, keeping all of our body parts safe from the reach of swooping hawks! LOL
       
          The temperature is suppose to warm up tomorrow, so the spiritual sharing with the neighbors will be done then. Not today!!...Sorry neighbors! ^_^ ....But don't worry...we're still gonna come. :-))

        The only other things I wanted to tell you today...on 'wordless Wednesday...Yeah, Right!! LOL...is that the new Giveaway is posted! :-) ...On January 15, 2012....2012!!!!! O_O WOW! Where is the time flying off to?!...Probably somewhere with that hawk! ^_^...anyway! on January 15, 2012 I'll be drawing two...2...names! One for each of my little crochet bags. (You can see my bad photos of them in the right hand sidebar link) So if you're interested follow the rules posted on the link to enter.
      In case you haven't noticed, I'm giving away things from my Wuglyees shop now. Things that aren't going in the direction that I want my shop to go...Not that there's anything wrong with my little bags! But it's just that I don't want to be a 'little bag crochet shop'. I kinda wanna focus more on my headbands, scarves, jewelry and poetry going forward...with maybe an occasional specialty item thrown in...like a particular pink and white crochet/Tunisian stitched/cross-stitched pillow. :-)
      Finally, a big thank you to all of you who so lovingly shared your personal stories about your parents with me yesterday. It never ceases to amaze me that in no matter how many ways we, as a global people, are different,...we're all so very much the same. :-) So, smiles and much affection to each and every one of you today!! And if it's cold where you are too, consider yourself snuggled up with too! ♥ Have a good day!! :-)


Winter Is The Snow

Winter is the snow,
when the chilly breezes blow,
and the clouds all seem to flow,
and the birds, in flight, will go,
with their ducks all in a row-
but they leave behind the crow.

Winter is the snow,
when the farmer doesn't sow,
and its not the time to hoe,
and there's nothing left to mow,
'cause the seed, right now, won't grow.

Winter is the snow,
and the little baby doe,
with his mama's eyes aglow,
and defensiveness in tow,
'cause she's had her share of woe.

The ducks, the farmer, and the doe
respect the season, 'cause they know
that winter is the snow.

16 comments:

  1. Hello Debbie!

    What a nice winter post! Thank you very much for sharing with us this wonderful cold day and choosing one of our scarves to featured.

    We wish you all the best!

    A big hug,

    Mariana and Paula
    branda

    ReplyDelete
  2. The4inONE, Hello!...Thank you for the nice complement about the post...AND for allowing me to share your scarf! :-) I crochet and I know how much work a scarf of that size is, so 'big props' to you! :-)) Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I've never heard that expression but it makes sense to me :) I'm sure the neighbors are grateful they won't have to open their doors to you today and let that icy air in and their heat out...they'll be waiting when it's a bit less chilly I think! Stay warm and have a great day inside <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohhhh stay warm and cosy inside and drink lots of tea ;-)) Wish i could but it was back to work for me today. And its freezing here to with biting winds and rain not a nice combination at all. Enjoy the rest of your week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's dreadful here in the UK today too! Wind, rain and bitterly cold - I've lit the fire and I'm off to put the kettle on - care to join me??
    Enter me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard that phrase despite growing up in New England. I may have to adopt it. I'm in NYC, now, and though we are not as cold as where you are (currently 17 F.) I love the cold weather and running around doing errands til I am completely frozen and coming in from the cold, completely appreciative of my nice toasty home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh, I want that scarf! It'd be good for these cold Chicago days-- lots of hawks here. Haha.

    Thanks for including our print! Enjoy winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. kelly, Thank you so much for the encouragement that the neighbors would be waiting on a bit warmer day. I hope you're right! :-) At any rate, I know they're glad they didn't see us this morning. Brrrrr!...You have a great day today too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. delia hornbook, Yes I did, Dee! Stayed nice and cosy inside. No tea...but I'm having a cup of coffee in a minute! ^_^ I hope you're able to stay warm today too. That wind has a bite to it, doesn't it?! OUCH! :-]

    ReplyDelete
  10. gill, Wind, rain and bitter cold?!...Uhhhhh, No thank you! ^_^ I sure wish I could get a nice hot cup of English tea though!...My coffee will have to do for now!..You're entered too....Wrap up nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sMacThoughts, Hello! I'm surprised that you never heard that expression, considering that you grew up in New England! But the fact that you like the cold does give you away. LOL My hubby grew up in New England and he said almost the same thing you did...he used to love staying outside and playing in the snow as a kid until his hands and everything hurt!! He loved coming indoors too...but only long enough to thaw out! O_0 .......New Englanders are a strange bunch! LOL...Thank you for the nice comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ThirdArrowForMyHeart, Ha! Ha! Yes...Chicago is where the Hawk lives!!! ^_^ You must be very familiar with 'wind chill factors' and 'barometric pressure'! ^_^ You definitely could use that scarf!!...And a LARGE HOT TODDIE!!! ^_^ Thanks for the nice comment. Come and visit the backyard again any time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! Growing up in southwestern Montana,I know full well what those cold mornings can be like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pat, Montana?...Oh Yeah! You know about a cold morning!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for teaching me something new. I had never heard of that expression about the hawk before. It totally makes sense though now that I read where it came from.
    Brrrrr I don't think I would like those really cold mornings that you are having but it certainly beats the heat we have had recently. It was over 100F earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jo-anne, ^_^ Very happy to share something with you that you never heard before!...That's better than sharing weather with you, huh?! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^