Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Going Down Old Country Memory Roads

     I saw this photo on the blog and baby makes three. I almost stopped in my tracks because it reminded me so much of a road in my own home state of Georgia!  It's not though. This was one of the photos she took on a weekend trip in the Wichita mountains in southwestern Oklahoma. {You can find the rest of the story and the rest of the gorgeous photos HERE.} We have some long country roads just like this though. And now I'm all 'down memory lane' this morning.
   I think a lot of this memory lane stuff though is happening because of the new book I'm reading.
     Kathryn Stockett really has a way with words! I am so impressed with her style. I find myself reading with a southern drawl when I read it out loud! ^_^ I hope she doesn't mind me sharing a small excerpt from her book, so you can see what I mean...One of the characters in the book, Skeeter, (her mama prefers her real name Eugenia) comes from a well-to-do family. They have a black maid named Constantine who she loves very much. Here's an exchange to show you why she does!

"...THE FIRST TIME I was ever called ugly, I was thirteen. It was a rich friend of my brother Carlton's, over to shoot guns in the field.
   "Why you crying, girl?" Constantine asked me in the kitchen.
I told her what the boy had called me, tears streaming down my face.
   "Well? Is you?"
I blinked, paused my crying. "Is I what?"
   "Now you look a here, Eugenia"----because Constantine was the only one who'd occasionally follow Mama's rule. "Ugly live up on the inside. Ugly be a hurtful, mean person. Is you one a them people?"
   "I don't know. I don't think so," I sobbed.
  Constantine sat down next to me, at the kitchen table. I heard the cracking of her swollen joints. She pressed her thumb hard in the palm of my hand, something we both knew meant Listen. Listen to me.
   "Ever morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision." Constantine was so close, I could see the blackness of her gums. "You gone have to ask yourself, Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?"
  She kept her thumb pressed hard in my hand. I nodded that I understood. I was just smart enough to realize she meant white people. And even though I still felt miserable, and knew that I was, most likely, ugly, it was the first time she ever talked to me like I was something besides my mother's white child. All my life I'd been told what to believe about politics, coloreds, being a girl. But with Constantine's thumb pressed in my hand, I realized I actually had a choice in what I could believe..."

   This book is soooo good! I'll just tell you that something has happened to Constantine. I'm just about to find out what it is in my next chapter or so...I think. That's going to captivate me for the rest of this day. Well....after I get all of my other stuff done and out of the way. You can just imagine how fast that's gonna be!! ^_^
   I got an email yesterday. It had a link to this post on the blog Mythreebeez. Guess what?! She received the Giveaway gift, the green and white afghan!! Boy was that fast!! I though it would take a couple of weeks because of having to go so far on it's international trip, but it only took 4 or 5 days!! These are the pictures of my "baby" now in it's new home! :-)
    You can go HERE to see her post about it if you like...It made me very happy to know she liked it. :-) Speaking of which, don't forget that every comment you make below is putting you in the running for my next GIVEAWAY, that is, if you're a follower of this blog...A picture and a link to the current Giveaway is on the right sidebar.
     Okay, I know how fast time flies by , {picture courtesy of Kerri on the blog A Little Piece of Me}
    ...so I'm gonna go and try to make the best of the rest of it I have today! Have a good day everybody! {I'm sharing an older poem today...in honor of Skeeter and Kathryn Stockett! :-)}

In The Mirror, I See Me

The lines of history are there,
just like a book upon the shelf;
And they are written so that you see
that I'm no longer just myself.

I did not see it before now-
my mother's hair and brother's teeth,
my sister's honey-colored skin-
have stolen time, just like a thief.

The mirror's image always was
of me alone-just here and now;
But as I age, and years go by,
I see granddaddy's furrowed brow.

I see my auntie's pug, round nose;
and my uncle's sun-bleached spots.
It is amazing -one-by-one,
the way it all connects the dots.

They have written on the pages
of the book of life I see;
When I look into the mirror
I no longer just see me.

It's a thing I must accept,
instead of fighting who to be.
I will accept my life's reflection,
and I'll smile at what I see,
when, in the mirror, I see me.

12 comments:

  1. Wug...you had me on the edge of my seat!!! I HAVE to read that book!! Sounds delightful! Thanks for sharing it. No wonder I haven't seen much of you the last few days! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. CinLynn, Oh Yeah, it's a good one!!! I don't get to do much OTHER reading. You know what I mean. But it was a sister who passed this one to me. It was their book club read they just finished. I am SOOOO happy she thought of me! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, now you have me wanting to read that book. Thank you for sharing. Your afghan looks so loved in its new home. It matches her furniture so well. Your poems are so beautiful. Love this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look a little like home, doesn't it? . I've added that book to my reading list. If you like that kind of dialog you must read any and every thing by Janice Daugharty. She's from South Georgia and I absolutely love her work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I want to read that book. I just finished reading my current book so I need new material. What a beautiful piece you created, I love the colors!

    enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SnowFlakeDreams1, Come on! Read it with me!! I'd love to have some feedback along with mine! ^_^...Thank you so much for always saying such sweet things about my crochet and my poems too. I joke about it, but it really does mean a lot to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alicia, It sure does!!...And Oooo! Thanks for the heads up too on Janice Daugharty, I'll have to keep an eye out for my next book after this one!...I almost called you this weekend too, by the way. Then sleep ensued. ^_^ You know the rest of the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Croatian_Latina, Great! That would make at least 3 of us who could talk about it and craft and stuff too! ^_^ It's a really good one!...Thanks for the complement on the afghan too. I'm very happy it's in a place where it's being loved and sat on regularly! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11/10/2010

    Now that looks like a good read.Im liking the birds on the front it has to be good,LOL.No my book isnt a cook book.Its about a woman whos aproaching her 50 birthday and the close friends she has and has spent time with over the yrs.etc.Thus the name comfort food.Oh and she is a cook on TV.also thats her job rich and famous cook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got me hooked. That books sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky, Ha! Ha! I should have known the birds would get you!...And I think I'm kind of disappointed that it wasn't a cook book. That cover looked like it was up my alley!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jo-anne, :-) I thought for sure, because of what you normally like to read, that this book wouldn't be for you, but yay! So, if you start reading it let me know!

    ReplyDelete

Wait!! Click the "Join This Site" button, and leave me a comment! I'd love to get your thoughts! ^_^